Enrolment for our mainstream courses has now finished

We will soon be advertising new year courses.

Please check back for more information

What enrolment involves

'Enrolling' on a course means completing the process of providing your details and making sure that you will be on a course of the right level to meet your needs and ambitions.

We aim to make your visit as useful and quick as possible. However, we do need to be thorough to make sure that you are enrolled onto the right course, as this is vital to your success. 
The steps you will go through ensure that:
- We record your personal details accurately 
- You study at a level that gives you the best chance to progress and succeed, and get appropriate support. To enable this, you will undertake a short assessment
- You get the specialist guidance you need to enrol on a course that will help you fulfil your ambitions
- Any fees you need to pay (if aged 19+) are calculated properly and you can access any fee reductions and financial support available. Courses for all under-19s are free at CNWL.
- You complete the enrolment process, get your ID card and finish with details of your College induction day(s) in early September
The process may take up to 3 hours, depending on wait times and what guidance you need.

What do you need to enrol?

To complete your enrolment, you will also need to bring some essential documents. Click here for details


Enrolment FAQs.

What happens at Enrolment?
Enrolment is the period when applicants come into College to finalise the paperwork and officially become a student of the College. You present your invitation letter to our Meet & Greet Team who will direct you into our building. You are greeted by another set of staff who will make sure you have attended on the correct day, they will provide you with your enrolment form and they will then direct you our Curriculum team who will check your qualifications, confirm your course. Next you will proceed to our final desk where your forms are processed, photograph taken and you are provided with your ID and Induction Timetable.

How long will it take to enrol?
As you can imagine, we see many thousands of applicants during this process and spend time with each of you to ensure you are making the best study programme choices here. We endeavour to enrol you as quickly as possible, with the entire process usually taking about two to three hours depending on your arrival time. 

I've applied for a course and I'm waiting for a response?
Please be aware that due to the high number of applications we receive, we may not be able to get back to all applicants immediately.

Should I have received a communication from you?
If you have applied before Friday 26th July 2019 you should have already received an email from us explaining Enrolment. This email will be followed by a letter in the post. If you have applied after Friday 26th July 2019 you will receive an email and letter from us later in August. 

(Please note that enrolment is closed on Bank Holiday Monday 26th August 2019 so you cannot enrol on this day). 

Our Course Advisors are available on 22nd August 2019, 11am - 2pm, if you want to pop along and speak to about your grades and the options available at College.

What if I don't get the maths and/or English GCSE grades I needed?
If you have not achieved a GCSE grade C (4) or above in maths and/or English, you will be asked to sit an 'Initial Assessment' during Enrolment or during your course induction week, this is an online test to assess your skills and assign the right level of English and/or maths to your studies. All learners who do not achieve a GCSE grade C (4) in maths/English will be required to study these subjects at College, alongside your main study programme. The Initial Assessment will make sure you study at the right level and pace for you and will help to create an individual timetable for you. 

Our Initial Assessment is an online assessment that you will complete at a computer either during Enrolment or during your induction week commencing 2nd September 2019. The assessment can take between 30 minutes and 2 hours to complete, dependent on your skills and tutors will be on hand to help you through the process. 

Can you tell me which courses you have spaces on?
Availability for places on courses will change by the hour during Enrolment. Many courses will have limited spaces left. Be aware that you may not be able to get a place on your preferred course, or you may have to join a waiting list. We advise that you come in to Enrol at your earliest opportunity. 

Students on some courses may have the opportunity to enhance their learning through the availability of additional resources or activities. The cost of these resources and activities are not funded through tuition fees or any other funding received by the College. The cost, therefore, is generally recovered from students through additional, voluntary or student charges. Financial support may be available from our bursary funds to support students from a low income background experiencing hardship, with these and other essential course costs such as travel and equipment. Students can discuss this with staff prior to, or during enrolment.

What if I can’t afford to pay for the course essentials?
If you have a low household income the College may be able help by giving you a discount on essential course costs through one of our means-tested bursaries. Visit Financial Support for more information.

How can I change the details on an application I have already submitted online?
Please email our admissions team on admisions@cnwl.ac.uk with:

Your full name

Date of birth

Application Reference (if you know it)

Details of what you would like to remove/add

What happens after I've submitted my College application online?
If you've applied online to study with us, we'll contact you by email to invite you to an interview if required. It is really important that your e-mail address is correct.  If you are unsure please contact us to confirm.  For some courses, a decision may be made based on the information in your application and an interview will not be necessary, therefore take your time completing your personal statement

Is there any funding available if I am 19yrs old or older?
Yes. English & Maths courses (up to and including Level 2/GCSE) are fully funded if you do not already have a GCSE Grade C/4 or above.

If you are 19-23 yrs your first full Level 1,2,or 3 (if you have not previously achieved a full Level 3 qualification) may be fully funded - you may not have to pay tuition or exam fees.

If you are 24yr+ your first full Level 1 or 2 may be fully funded if you are unemployed or co-funded if you are in employment.

If you are 24yr+ wanting to study Level 3 or above you will be required to pay tuition and exam fees or take out an Advanced Learner Loan. You will need to provide evidence of your loan/loan application to complete enrolment and/or will need to provide a payment method during enrolment. 

If you are on Job Seekers Allowance, Employment Support Allowance or Universal Credits or you have wage lower than £16,005.50 you may be eligible for fee remission. Individuals will be assessed at enrolment when evidence is produced. 

Note: this does not apply to 24yr+ Level 3 or above learners.
All individuals will be assessed for fee exemption/remission based on evidence supplied at enrolment.

Please click this link for information regarding funding for Adults from Level 0 to 3. 

Can someone else enrol for me?
No. We need you to Enrol in person onto a course.

How long do I have before I start classes?
All classes for mainsteam Entry Level to Level 3 courses start for induction on the week beginning Monday 2nd September 2019. Please check the Induction Timetable you receive when you collect your ID card at the end of Enrolment. 

Do I need to bring a School or College reference with me to Enrol?
No. But if you are aged 16-18yrs old and can bring a reference from your most recent school or college, it will speed up your Enrolment time. 

Can I go to University with a Vocational qualification?
Yes. A level 3 Vocational qualification such as a BTEC is equivalent to 3 A levels and is attributed UCAS points in the same way. Achieving triple distinction star grades in your BTEC or Vocational qualification gives you the same UCAS points as 3 A* grades at A level.

I've already studied for a year, how do I go about transferring to and from a different college or school?
If you are aged 17yrs old (as an example) and are considering a place at our College to continue learning and completing your course, there are a number of factors include the qualification type, the awarding body and which units or modules you have completed which we will need to consider.

For all changes midway through a two year course it is important to check with the College that we deliver the course or subjects that you are currently studying.

We are happy to help you find out this information and offer you support to transfer.

Please contact: enquiries@cnwl.ac.uk with your queries.

If you are considering moving college before completing your programme of study, there are various things we recommend:

Speak – to your current tutor and teachers about the implications of moving. It’s very important that you continue to attend all your lessons while you look into your options, and that you work to achieve the best grades you can in the time you remain at your current school/college.

BTEC/UAL/CACHE or Vocational – these qualifications consist of completion of specific units or modules, sometimes these are taught in different combinations and or at different times throughout a course and this can differ from college to college. It can mean that we are unable to offer a transfer if certain units have or have not been completed. In any case we would request the list of the units completed that year to determine if we could offer you a transfer.

Be prepared – collect as much information from your current place of study. In order to make sure we are best placed to determine your request, we will need as much information from you - regarding your current studies – as possible. Such as information about your: qualification, units or modules completed, transcripts, syllabus details and or awarding body information. We may also ask or require for a reference from your previous school or college.

However, the most important thing to take note of is that you can contact us anytime, by emailing us at: enquiries@cnwl.ac.uk

Is there a Freshers’ Fair?
We always hold a Freshers’ Fair for students during the first few weeks in September. This is a good opportunity for you to get some information, freebies and promotional offers from organisations in our local area, as well as finding out about what’s going on in College.

What do I need to bring with me on my first day?
We will let you know what you need to bring, but it will include the following as a minimum:

  • Pen and paper
  • Any other stationery, equipment or clothing specified in your letter.

How will I know if I’ve chosen the right course?
Everyone who is coming to College to start a full-time course in September will be invited to a Induction event prior to starting, which will give you a chance to meet students and teachers on your course, and to find out more about the course and College.

Your Curriculum Admissions interview will also give you a chance to find out more about the course and you will be able to ask your interviewer lots of questions about it.

If you are still unsure you can make an appointment with a College careers adviser to talk through your options to help you make the right course choice. Contact Student Services on 020 8208 5000.

If you start your course but don’t feel it’s right for you, and not what you expected, talk to your Tutor. Do this quickly, as you may not be able to change courses after the first few weeks of term. You can also ask for our Course or Careers Advisors to help you make the right decision.