Advanced Learning Loan

Students studying Level 3 or 4 courses, aged 19 years old or over can apply for the Advanced Learning Loan for support towards the cost of their course. These loans help to pay the tuition fees charged by the College. Most learners aged 19 and over, studying at Level 3 or Level 4 will qualify for these loans from the UK government. 

The student’s household income to apply for the loan is not taken into account and there is no credit check.
Students will not have to pay the loan back until their income is over £25,000 per year. 

For further information about the loan, eligibility and how to apply see the Government website here

Advanced Learning Loan - Additional Financial Support  

Once students have an approved loan with the Advanced Learning Loans Company, they can apply for additional support from the College. 

To apply for this support, the student’s gross household income has to be £21,000 or less and they must have an approved loan with Advanced Learning Loans Company. 

Support available: 
- Travel Award 
The student needs to live 1.5 miles or more from the College to apply. Travel support will be a contribution for the number of days the student is timetabled to attend College.
- Childcare Award 
Childcare support is a contribution of up to £30 per timetabled days. Students can only apply for childcare support for a maximum of 2 children. The childcare provider needs to be Ofsted Registered and students would need to provide full birth certificate(s).
- Material/Books Award 
A one-off payment either paid to the department or directly to the student’s bank account within the academic year.


Applying for Advanced Learning Loan Support Checklist 

Students need to fully complete the online application form on pay my student and upload/scan all supporting evidence for their application here

Supporting Documents:
- Evidence of student’s current residency (passport, British passport, biometric card, home office documents, travel document)
- Evidence that you and your spouse (if applicable) are in receipt of:
- Support Letter from DWP
- Income based JSA
- Income ESA
- Support under Part IV of the Immigration & Asylum Act
- Universal Credit
- Guarantee element of State Pension Credit 
- Tax Credit Award Notice for the qualifying year
- Tenancy agreement/rent
- Working Tax Credit for the qualifying year 
- Recent bank statements showing receipt of benefits (if you do not have the benefits letters). 
- Recent payslips (last 2 months) or tax return/accountant’s letter will only be required to evidence household gross annual income. 
- Advanced Learning Loan Approval Letter